Why Should You Come Out To Askennonia?

Askennonia is a Ouendat greeting that conveys peace, wholeness and well-being. Askennonia Senior Centre, in Midland Ontario, is a gathering place, where members and guests have excelled in the design and delivery of programs that fit the lifestyles of today's active senior community.
 
Askennonia Senior Centre has been encouraging local people to exercise body, mind and spirit for over 25 years, since 1987. What started with 75 charter members and two or three weekly programs such as a foot clinic and bridge game has grown to an organization with over 700 members and nearly 50 weekly educational, recreational and therapeutic programs ranging from tai chi to line dancing or pickle ball to singing with the “Just Attitude” choir. 

All of Askennonia’s programs provide some form of physical, mental or spiritual benefit. For example, singing in the choir improves posture, exercises the lungs and heart, increases both oxygen and pain-relieving endorphins, reduces stress, improves sleeping and strengthens your core, thereby improving balance. It’s also fun, especially with Victoria Thompson as your director. Everyone is invited to register for Wednesday afternoon choir. “Just Attitude” is sponsored by Canadian Tire, Midland.

Pickle Ball is another program that has many health benefits. Pickle ball is named after a dog, ”Pickles”, who chased runaway balls for its owners. Pickle ball is a cross between badminton and tennis, played on a court in the gym using paddles. The ball is the size of a tennis ball, but hollow with holes, causing it to ‘waffle’ or slow down a little, especially for beginner players. Members play three times per week, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings and they love it! It’s a fun social game, increasing coordination and reaction times and general physical fitness. All equipment is supplied, but you need good indoor runners and comfortable clothing. The gym is air conditioned, making it the perfect place to play on hot summer days.

Askennonia’s Computer Club meets all summer and that’s where volunteers will introduce this technology to the most beginner member or assist more experienced users to solve technical issues. They provide one-on-one assistance and training with social media programs, such as, Facebook or Twitter and help people stay connected with family and friends by showing them the possibilities with Skype or email. They meet Tuesday mornings in the computer lab, that is equipped with several large touch-screen computers that make learning a joy. You can also bring in your own laptop and connect to wireless internet. That way, you learn on your machine and have a better chance of remembering what you have learned.

Another program that continues throughout the summer reduces the risk of heart disease by 30%, reduces risk of diabetes by 50%, reduces chances of getting breast cancer by 20%, helps you live longer and be healthier as the years tick on. How can you deny yourself this benefit when all you have to do tie up the laces and walk? The Walking Club, sponsored by Tim Hortons, meets Thursday mornings and takes a one hour walk throughout Midland or other specified locations. Once per month, they hike the trails of Midland and Tay and enjoy a picnic lunch in Victoria Harbour or at a local park. People of different ages and stages of fitness attend, as there is a place for all in this group.
A new program that is growing is "Indoor Flying Club" where people fly model helicopters and planes inside the Rec Centre.  New and experienced pilots meet Tuesday afternoons with Bob, who shares 35 years of flying experience and has access to good deals on parts and new equipment.  This will continue all summer. 

Members attend a French lunch, play bridge, table tennis, carpet bowling, bid euchre and take yoga, zumba, fibromyalgia exercise class, creative writing, woodcarving, clogging and other exercise classes in air-conditioned comfort all summer long. Mindfulness drumming and tai chi move outdoors into beautiful Little Lake Park. See Askennonia’s newsletter that lists all at www.askennonia.com or pick up a copy Mon. to Fri., 9am – 4pm at Askennonia in the North Simcoe Sports & Rec Centre, Midland.
Look up newsletter to see the latest offering of engaging programs.